The Mojave Desert and Mountain Recycling Authority (the JPA) includes nine members, jointly sharing their authority to plan and implement recycling,composting, reuse and zero waste programs. Adelanto, Apple Valley, Barstow, Big Bear Lake, Needles, San Bernardino County, Twentynine Palms, Victorville and Yucca Valley comprise the JPA. An elected Councilmember or Supervisor represents each member on the Board of Directors, and may be represented by an alternate.
JPA members began working together on High Desert solid waste issues in 1987. California’s Integrated Waste Management Act of 1989 (AB 939) spurred the group to continue working together on regional plans to divert waste from landfilling through recycling, composting, and waste reduction. The JPA was formed in 1991, so that local elected officials and staff may meet, discuss and carry out needed programs and services.
With the Board’s leadership and direction, the JPA:
- Financed and manages the Victor Valley Materials Recovery Facility, processing up to 150 tons a day of recycling from JPA members
- Administers the Mojave Desert Recycling Market Development Zone, working to find uses for recycled materials
- Facilitates member agency and business programs to recycle more including electronics, construction and demolition materials, food and landscape organics, and commercial and multi-family materials
- Undertakes public outreach and education programs to promote recycling opportunities
- Work with regional, state and national groups to expand recycling opportunities
- Monitor legislative and regulatory initiatives, particularly in California
- Sponsors the Mojave Desert and Mountain Master Composters, with over 1200 trained home composters working in five regional groups
- Negotiated long-term landfill use agreements, stabilizing pricing while encouraging recycling
- Organizes annual Earth Day and Garden Parties events to focus on recycling and composting opportunities
- Publishes biennial recycling newsletters providing information about local events and programs